Big Man Japan (2007)

April 21st, 2019

Directed by: Hitoshi Matsumoto

Written by: Hitoshi Matsumoto

StarringHitoshi Matsumoto, Riki Takeuchi, Ua

Quote: "I feel a sense of responsibility about that....  I never really know when work will pop up. I have to always be on call.... I just accept that's the way things are."

Trivia: It was announced in 2012 that Neil H. Mortiz (producer of "Prison Break") was set to produce an American remake of the film.


Growing up watching daytime television in the eighties and nineties I watched a lot of bad soap operas and infomercials. Occasionally, I would find a cool monster flick which became my favorite movies. I loved (and still love) Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans (God bless Ray Harryhausen). I also really liked the old Universal monster movies, especially Frankenstein and the Creature from the Black Lagoon. However, every now and then, there would be one of the Japanese dubbed monster movies from the fifties and sixties. Godzilla. King Kong. Mothra. Giant spiders. I love the over-the-top nature of those Japanese films, the cheesy special effects, and poor acting. Big Man Japan is homage to those Japanese Monster movies, formally called Kaiju films. Big Man Japan is a mockumentary about a superhero who is tasked by the Japanese government to fight the monsters that are trying to destroy Japan. It is ridiculous in a very deadpan way and has an absolute perfect ending that is completely unexpected.



No comments:

Post a Comment