All Cheerleaders Die (2013)

August 29, 2018

Directed by: Lucky McKee, Chris Sivertson

Written by: Lucky McKee, Chris Sivertson

Starring: Sidney Allison, Charon Arnold, Shay Astar

Quote: Somebody got fucked. Somebody got killed. I'm going to gym.

TriviaLucky McKee remade this film after finding his first film of the same name went straight to video and was very hard to find.







Alright, I think this'll be a quick one. I am usually a sucker for a cheerleader slasher movie but this one did not deliver. The movie pretty quickly goes in unexpected ways, which is pretty cool, but ultimately this just ends up being a disappointment. Instead of a slasher we have ourselves a witch film. There are elements of The Craft in the film, but this one falls flat. The movie is well shot, the special effects are decent, but the storyline does not grab the attention. Its biggest flaw is that none of the characters are very likable or interesting so I found it really hard to care about what happens to any of them.

Basic plot. Odd girl surprises friend by joining the cheerleading squad to ruin the year of head football guy. In midst of "ruin the year" plan, she and her other cheerleaders are killed in a car crash trying to escape abusive football guy. Odd girl's Wiccan friend brings them back to life with Wicca magic but now they need to feet on blood and they have a telekinetic link between each other. After feeding on a couple of people abusive football guy discovers their secret becomes a magic witch himself. We find out the reason the main girl wanted to ruin the year of football guy is that he raped her and then there is a boss battle between the cheerleader witches and the abusive football guy witch. In the end the magic of Wicca destroys football guy and life goes back to normalish.

One of my biggest problems with the film is that the only character that I really felt anything for was the abusive football guy. The guy is a piece of shit. He hits girls on the drop of a dime, he is an asshole to his friends, he is smug, arrogant, and a damn rapist. As the film moves forward and he gets worse and worse, I hated him more and more. I wanted him to get his dues. I was hoping for a Charles Bronson style Death Wish revenge! Unfortunately, all we get is a bunch of shiny rocks swirling magic colors around in the sky and then killing him. It is a big disappointment.

The other parts of the film seems to try to capitalize on the sexiness of the cheerleaders. During an unnecessary sex scene, the rest of the girls writhe in pleasure on the ground of the school (remember the link they share?). In another one, one of the girls walks across the street in only her underwear to seduce and drink the blood of her adult neighbor. And there is some girl-on-girl action as well. The girl love story seems forced. I don't know. Maybe I'm just cynical but I spent more time looking at my phone than watching the film.

Witch film? Vampire film? Who cares. If you liked the film, please leave me a comment. I want to know what I missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment